Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Apple Of My Eye

Its apple time… just one of the great things about fall. The air is crisp; we get to bring out our favorite cozy sweaters. The apple cider is flowing; our kitchens are warm from the heat of some glorious apple dessert baking in the oven while the scent of cinnamon fills our lungs. Fall is also a pleasant reminder of my Aunt Jay’s Apple Cake. We always knew at this time of year when we got to Aunt Jay’s house there would be one resting on a beautiful plate just waiting to be sliced. I realize that there is nothing unique about an apple cake to speak of, with so many versions out there, most of which are absolutely delicious. But there is something really special about this one. I’m sure it has a lot to do with the love and memories associated with it or……..this cake just really tastes awfully good. I’ll let you be the judge!

Aunt Jay’s Apple Cake

1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 egg whites
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup apple juice
2 cups flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups peeled and chopped apples (any variety will do but granny smiths seem to work best).
1/2 cup chopped nuts (she always used walnuts)

Beat sugar and oil; add eggs and vanilla. Beat until creamy. Stir in juice. Mix dry ingredients together. Add to egg mixture. Gently stir in apples and nuts. Pour batter into greased and floured 10-inch tube pan (may also use Bundt pan). Bake at 350 degrees for 60 to 65 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack for 30 minutes. Serve warm. May be sprinkled with powdered sugar.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Fall best of all for all the reasons you mentioned plus. I love the smell of the kitchen when apples are in the oven:)

Carla said...

I'm going to an apple festival on October 6, so I may need to bake this cake when I get back. I love apples.

Julie said...

Thanks Carla