Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

It's Really All About The Sandwich!

Su-Lin/Flickr

The basics of a good meat loaf seem simple at best but through the years and many a meat loaf later I can honestly say that there are some people who can take the humble meat loaf and make it taste like.....you know! Sadly my mother was one of those people, she was a really good cook with everything else but her meat loaf would make me shudder. To this day I still feel she put way too many onions in it. My mother was the queen of onions and in other recipes that was just fine but in meat loaf, not so great. My mother's meat loaf was three parts chopped onions to a little over one part ground beef. You couldn't cut a slice of this meat loaf if your life depended on it. Each slice would just fall apart; there was not enough ground beef to hold it together. I guess if she was serving some recipe called "Onion Loaf" this would have been great but when having meat loaf, I find that the meat part of the recipe should be the headliner.
I realize that I am extremely fussy when it comes to meat loaf, it is just one of those foods that I tend to be quite judgmental about. To be fair, I have even made some meat loaves that I wouldn't eat.
My mother liked topping her meat loaf with ketchup and bacon which is pretty common. I don't mind the bacon but I am not real big on the ketchup.
I actually prefer meat loaf with brown gravy or no gravy at all as long as the meat loaf is moist. I have had a couple people who have served me meat loaf and I have actually enjoyed it and gone back for seconds, my grandmother being one and the other being my dear friend Christine.
The funny thing is I could really care less about the initial meat loaf dinner, what I truly look forward to, obsess over and dream about is that meat loaf sandwich I am going to make with the leftovers! I am surprised by the number of people that feel the exact same way. I guess when it comes down to it meat loaf is less about dinner and more about the sandwich!

A Simple Loaf

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground veal
1/2 lb. ground pork
2 eggs
1 cup of sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 or 4 slices bacon
3/4 c. bread crumbs or bread cubes
1/2 c. parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp. of onion powder
1/2 tsp. of garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place all ingredients except the bacon in a bowl. Briefly blend well and form into a loaf. Place the loaf on a rack in a 10" baking pan and cover with the bacon slices. Bake for 1 1/2 hours until the meat loaf is firm and the bacon browned. Let the meat loaf rest for 10 to 15 minutes.

9 comments:

Rocquie said...

I have been thinking about a meatloaf sandwich for a few days now. I've never seen a loaf recipe with sour cream--I'll have to try it.

Julie said...

Thank you Vincent, I added my blog to petitchef quite some time ago.

Julie said...

Thank you Sage Trifle, the sour cream helps to keep the meatloaf moist as well as impart a bit of richness.

Katy ~ said...

Sour cream in a meatloaf; that's a new one on me. Sounds good, though. And you're right. Meatloaf is all about the meatloaf sandwiches. YUMMMM

Little Love said...

Jules,I am so glad you liked my meatloaf. I remember cooking for you the first time, I was shaking in my boots. You are an amazing cook. I think you could make tires taste good somehow. Luv Ya.

Julie said...

Little Love, I think you shook in your boots the hardest when you had me taste your sauce for the first time. Quite frankly to this day I still think it is one of the best sauces I have ever tasted and I have tasted many! Cooking for you has always been a pleasure from every saturday to every day.
Thank you little Love

Julie said...

Thank you Katy

Food Junkie said...

Interesting sounding recipe and I agree about getting rid of the ketchup. I'll try this next meatloaf I make. Um there don't seem to be any onions in the recipe? LOL

Julie said...

That is right Food Junkie, no onions lol!