Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Pretty In Pink, Delicious In Red

Here’s something I haven’t had in a long time, broiled grapefruit. When I spent weekends with my great aunt this was one of her favorite breakfast treats. Plus it was a clever way to get me to eat grapefruit. I never liked the yellow, I always found it too bitter but I would eat the pink or ruby red variety they just seemed sweeter.
I never had trouble eating grapefruit when she made it this way; it was almost like having dessert.
What a great way to sneak in an extra serving of fruit for the day.

Broiled grapefruit

2 grapefruits (yellow, pink or ruby red)
4 tsp. butter
4 tbsp. brown sugar

Cut grapefruit into halves, crosswise. Cut pulp away from membrane in each section (with small pointed knife). Cut out membrane at core in center with scissors. Spread each half with 1 teaspoon of butter. Sprinkle each half with 1 tablespoon of sugar. Place on rack in broiler pan with grapefruit 3 inches away from broiler element.


Broil for 5 to 10 minutes or until sugar melts and top of grapefruit turns golden brown.
Top with cherries, raisins, or nuts if desired, serve hot.

8 comments:

brandin + kari said...

I have never heard of such a thing. What a great idea:) You cant go wrong with broiled brown sugar and butter!

Truffle said...

Sounds delicious. I love the idea of pairing it with nuts and raisins.

Patricia Scarpin said...

I've had grapefruit only once so far and I found it a bit bitter, Julie. I'm willing to give it a new try, though.

Julie said...

The yellow ones are very bitter Patricia but the pink and red are much sweeter. Even if they are a little bitter once you add the butter and sugar they'll taste just fine.

Julie said...

Thank you for stopping by Truffle, you will love these.

Julie said...

I couldn't agree more Anticiplate

Anonymous said...

My Grandmother used to make this for the whole family. Now I make it for mine. It sounds funny but it is one of my comfort foods.

Julie said...

Thank you Anonymous