Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Little Bit of Warmth on a Very Cold Day

This was a cold to the bone kind of day. High winds, ice and snow left us all dreaming of anything that would provide some warmth and comfort. The only thing I could think of was something that my parents always made me when I sick with chills and fever and that was a hot toddy. When I was younger they made it on the sweeter side using tea and either blackberry or apricot brandy. I remember how warm and soothing that it felt going down, I always felt better afterwards. I could not wait for the work day to end so I could go home and wrap my cold hands around a steaming hot mug of comfort.

Hot Toddy
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 to 2 tablespoons of Honey
2 tablespoons of Whiskey (use any spirit that you like)
1/2 to 3/4’s of a cup of boiling water or may also use hot tea

Add first three ingredients to your steaming mug of liquid, garnish with fruit slice and or cinnamon stick…..sip and enjoy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Patricia Scarpin said...

The forecast says it's going to be a rainy and cold Carnival - so this will be perfect for the days to come, Julie!

Anonymous said...

This brings back memories... my father always use to make me a 'hot toddy' when I was sick or simply not feeling well. The comfort and warmthbjust the memory evokes alllows me to remember those times fondly (even if I was sick at the time).

I just may have to go home this evening and make one - just for old times' sake.

PRD

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I feel better already :)

Julie said...

Thank you Bleeding Espresso, I am glad you feel better....this will sooth all that ails you.

Julie said...

Thank you Patricia, enjoy.

Julie said...

Thank you PRD, I'm glad that this brought back some good memories.