Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Orange Blossom Banquet

The whole semi- homemade idea that Sandra Lee has for her food network TV show is great and all but it certainly is not new. The use of pre-made brand items mixed with other products and some human ingenuity spans the generations. I cannot imagine a household anywhere that has not dabbled in this use of food products at one time or another. I know I certainly do and have for years; I call it doctoring. For example if I buy a jar of pre-made tomato sauce (I know shameful to admit being part Italian) I doctor it up with a little seasoning, maybe some wine, I might add a little meat or seafood….delicious. There is no crime, you make do, you stretch ingredients, you save time or maybe you just make something taste better than it would have on its own.
My mother had this dish she would make once a week using Banquet Fried Chicken (I love it and make it to this day).

1 Box of Banquet Fried Chicken (the one with the legs, thighs, wings and breasts)

1/2 to 3/4’s of a cup of Orange Blossom Honey (use any kind of honey that you like, orange blossom was her favorite).

1 small can of crushed pineapple with juice

Place chicken in a buttered baking pan; pour honey and pineapple with juice over chicken making sure each piece is covered. Bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes covered with aluminum foil.

This is so tender, sticky, sweet and delicious you will keep craving more. My mother would always serve this with rice. The rice was great to mix with the little chicken bits, honey and pineapple that remained on the bottom of the pan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome recipe.

As far as the semi-homemade, I usually make chicken parmesean using breaded freezer Banquet chicken filets.

Julie said...

Thank you Red-Icculus (I love that name, so clever).