Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Hope you all had a delicious Holiday!

These bars are addictive. They are crispy, chewy and loaded with flavor.
My grandmother makes them for us all the time, probably because we eat the entire batch every time we are there.
It really is a very easy recipe. I'm sure your family and friends will truly enjoy.


Date Bars

Ingredients:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees

1/2 cup unsifted flour
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup chopped dates
¾ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup flaked coconut
2 eggs
¼ cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:

In a medium mixing bowl thoroughly stir together the flour and baking powder; add salt and sugar and stir well again. Add dates; mix with fingers to separate dates. Stir in walnuts and coconut.
In a small mixing bowl beat eggs enough to blend yolks and whites. Add to flour mixture with butter and vanilla; stir to mix thoroughly.
Turn into a buttered square cake pan 9”X 9”. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean – about 45 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into bars or squares; remove from pan while still warm and finish cooling on wire rack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Talk about YUMMY! When I read this in the blog the other day, I thought these bars sounded similar to what my mother use to make me when I was a kid. Sure enough! I made and baked them - then of course, I had to eat them. They tasted almost like the ones "mom use to make" ~ the only exception was mom's secret ingredient... the love that was added during the mixing.

That's one of the reasons I enjoy reading this blog so much - it brings back what "use to be" in a very real sense.

Keep going Jules... tastin' good!