Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Childhood Favorite All Grown Up

I could not find a picture of the ham and raisin tv dinner to save my soul.....

Talk about something conjuring up a memory. I was surfing the internet and I happened to see this recipe for raisin sauce and I immediately thought; "Swanson's Ham and Raisin Glaze TV Dinner". There were only two TV dinners that I would ever eat, one being the ham and the other was the fried chicken. I could not imagine eating a TV dinner now, they are so expensive. Plus that little bit of food they give you would never satisfy my appetite, I would need at least two of those dinners to call it a meal. I am sure that this recipe I found is much fancier than Swanson's version which was perfectly suited to a child's palate. Let's just say this is my childhood ham and raisin dinner all grown up.... hurry up and pass the ham so I can ladle on the sauce!

Raisin Sauce

2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup orange juice
1/3 cup seedless raisins
1 tablespoon ham drippings or butter
1/2 cup ginger ale

In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, orange rind, mustard and cornstarch. Stir in orange juice. Bring to a boil, lower heat and continue to simmer until mixture thickens (5-10 minutes). Add raisins and butter or drippings from ham; cook another 3-4 minutes. Stir in ginger ale.

5 comments:

Lucia from Madison said...

This is so crazy. My husband and I were just talking about TV dinners tonight. My favorite was Morton's Fried Chicken with peas and carrots and mashed potatoes.

Julie said...

I know Lucia, TV dinners definitely are a reminder of childhood.

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Pam, aka, Dessert Lady said...

Oh, my gosh.....the rum raisin sauce for ham! I used to love that.....whenever we'd visit my Aunt--we knew one thing: She'd be serving ham with raisin sauce. I used to serve it when my kids were little, but they never liked it, so I stopped. Thanks for the memories!

Julie said...

You are so welcome, Pam