Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Blue Passion

I could eat blue cheese by the crumble, by the chunk or by the wheel. I am telling you it is genetic my entire family magnetizes to blue cheese. I love stinky strong cheeses, to me the so called stink just speaks to the high level of flavor.
The other night I made a big batch of blue cheese dip/dressing which can be used for just about anything. That night it was used as a dip for homemade Buffalo wings . It was so delicious, more so because I added probably triple the amount of blue cheese one would normally use....what I can say. I am the same way with garlic as I pointed out in the previous post. Some may say that I have severe issues with certain foods; I like to think of it more as having tremendous passion about certain foods.
I am also passionate about soup one of life's most perfect dishes and by adding blue cheese  this dish is way over the top!

ONION AND BLUE CHEESE SOUP

4 lg. onions, sliced thin
3/4 stick (6 tbsp.) butter
4 c. canned beef broth
1 c. dry white wine
1/4 lb. blue cheese, crumbled (about 1 c.)

1 baguette, for croutons. (Just slice, butter or drizzle a little olive oil on each slice and put in 400 degree oven for 5 to 8 minutes). Spreading with blue cheese is optional but really, really good!

In a large saucepan, cook the onions in the butter over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until they are softened. Sprinkle the onions with salt and pepper, stir in the broth and the wine, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer the soup, covered, for 1 hour.
Remove the pan from the heat and add 3/4 cup of the cheese and stir the soup until the cheese is melted. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish it with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and the croutons.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In our family we make dip using blue cheese and butter. It is heaven on crackers!

Julie said...

How can you possibly go wrong mixing anything with butter, especially blue cheese. This dip sounds wonderful, can't wait to give it a try.

Katy ~ said...

Ooooh this sounds rich! I would love a sampler of this! YUM

Anonymous said...

Okay Jules when are you making this again. I need to try it.!!!

Julie said...

If you weren't so far Katy I would invite you over for a bowl.

Julie said...

I guess you would just have to let me know when you have the time Christine and as always I would be more than happy to make it for you.