Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Monday, April 19, 2010

The Energizing Salad

I am always struggling with what to eat while doing my night job cleaning at an athletic club. The hours are technically hours that most people should not be eating. I am there from 9:30 pm until 6 in the morning. It is only three nights a week but it is a physically grueling job that requires a lot of energy that quite frankly I don't always have. So what to eat that isn't too calorie laden but yet packs enough protein to give me the energy that I so desperately need. Well, eggs are great which I do often either hard boiled or I'll make a nice vegetable frittata which always travels nicely but I also would like some variety. Then I remembered a tuna and bean salad that my grandmother made and kept in a covered container in the fridge. This salad is perfect; it keeps well and is not only delicious but packed with protein. So I made myself a triple batch of the recipe below using three types of beans; cannellini, black and butter beans. This is the perfect healthy go to food to keep on hand, especially for those of us constantly watching our weight.

FYI-Tuna has always been a favorite protein source especially for bodybuilders, dieters, and other athletes. Tuna is a very inexpensive, convenient food that is low in fat and a great source of protein and omega-3 essential fats. Beans and legumes are inexpensive and a common food all over the world. Very high in calcium and iron, beans and legumes are also a great source of protein and can be a nice alternative to meat.

High Protein Salad
Make a double or triple batch, this salad will keep for a couple weeks refrigerated. I usually allow myself a one to one and a half cup serving.



1 cans of cannellini beans, (15 oz.) drained & rinsed (may use any type bean)
1 lg. can white tuna, drained
1/2 c. chopped red onion
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
3 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/3 c. olive oil
1/4 c. chopped fresh basil
1 lg. tomato, seeded & diced, optional
Bell peppers, chopped, optional

Combine beans, tuna, tomato and onion in large bowl. Combine lemon juice and mustard in small bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Add to salad. Mix in basil, season with salt and pepper.

4 comments:

Rochelle R. said...

I am going to try this for sure. Your salad sounds very tasty. I work a weird shift and end up eating sandwiches twice a day. I have trouble thinking of things that travel well.

Julie said...

You will enjoy this Rochelle, it's delicious, filling and it travels very well.

Rocquie said...

This sounds delicious. I always enjoy seeing different tuna salads, especially ones with no mayo.

Julie said...

I hardly use mayo anymore, it's not that I dislike it, it is just that it is so loaded with calories and quite easy to go overboard with. We replaced mayo with hummus as a condiment for our sandwiches, it is really quite good.
Thank you Sage Trifle