Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Friday, March 21, 2008

Pizza Bianca

CknLomeins?Flickr.com

I have always been a huge fan of white pizza; I actually prefer it over the traditional with tomato sauce. Don’t get me wrong that doesn’t mean that I’d pass up a slice of the tomato sauce laden pie but if given the choice I will always choose the white.
I have grown up with some really great pizza makers, my aunt, grandmother and I even had an uncle that use to make a pretty mean pizza. Over the years I have honed my own pizza making skills mostly because I really haven’t had much luck finding any pizzeria’s around here that I like. There is one exception though, a little place called Surace’s right around the corner, so close I can walk to it. Surace’s makes this white veggie pizza that I adore, it comes with lots of cheese olive oil, garlic, broccoli and artichokes. I tweak mine a bit and order it with extra cheese and anchovies, it is so good.

White Pizza

Pizza dough (your recipe, store bought, frozen bread dough, whatever you like to use)
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1 cup shredded provolone (may also use any other cheese you prefer)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano
1 (15-ounce) can artichoke hearts in water, drained and thinly sliced
Cut up broccoli, Spinach (again, whatever you like)
Anchovies (optional)
1/4 cup chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 425-450 degrees F.

Press out dough or place store bought shell onto a pizza pan or cookie sheet.
Drizzle dough with oil and scatter minced garlic over dough to the edges.
Cover with all of the cheeses combined and work all the way to the edge of the dough.
Top with artichoke hearts, broccoli (whatever toppings you like)
Cook 8 to 10 minutes, until cheeses have melted and begin to bubble. Remove from oven and garnish with parsley. Cut with pizza wheel or knife into squares or wedges and serve.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum. This is one of my favorite type of pizza. It looks great!
Nice job!

Julie said...

Thank you Zen Chef, I think your food looks and sounds fabulous.

Rochelle R. said...

My that looks yummy. I haven't had white pizza but I like artichokes. I'll have to try this.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julie said...

You will love it Rochelle

michael edelman said...

My favorite pizza is the type my father used make back in the 60s and serve at parties. He in turn learned it from the old Italian bake in his neighborhood when he was a young man in the 1930s. The baker and his friends would gather in the evening to play cards and drink. He'd take leftover bread dough, roll it out, and cover it with onions, peppers, salamis, anchovies, sliced tomatoes, herbs, lots of olive oil, and some grated cheese. No sauce, no floating slabs of molten cheese. To this day it's the only pizza I really like.

Julie said...

Sounds wonderful Michael