Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Out Of My Gourd

We have two enormous pumpkins sitting out on our deck that we have left as is without carving. We have no intention of letting any of that pumpkin flesh go to waste nor the seeds for that matter. I am sure we will roast some and make a few pies but there will still be a tremendous amount of flesh left, so instead of the standard apple butter let’s make it with pumpkin.

Pumpkin Butter

4 cups cooked pumpkin, mashed
1 (2 oz.) pkg. powdered pectin
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. unsalted butter

Place pumpkin in Dutch oven or heavy kettle. Stir in pectin. Place over high heat and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar, spice and butter. Continue stirring and bring to full rolling boil. Boil hard exactly four minutes. Remove from heat. Stir five minutes. Ladle into half-pint, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Adjust caps to manufacturer's directions. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath after cooking and check seals.

6 comments:

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

That is such a good idea!! I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to have some pumpkin leftover after my cooking class tomorrow....hmmm....

Julie said...

Sounds like a plan, Nikki

Andrew Abraham said...

What a great idea for pumpkins... great idea for this time of year... I will try your pumpkin butter recipe... Thank you for sharing with me..

Andy
www.recipebuddys.com

Julie said...

You are very welcome, Andy I hope that you like it.

Little Ol' Liz said...

Julie -
Water bath processing just isn't in the cards for this high altitude cook. Can I pack an put in the freezer instead?

Julie said...

I don't see why not liz, it should be fine in the freezer.