Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Julie's Got Game!




My father, grandfather and Uncle all went hunting together when I was growing up so we ate quite a variety of game meats. I was fine with eating the rabbit...that is until I saw the cute little furry thing blood stained being carried in the house by my father. I'd like to say the sight of that rabbit sent me running towards vegetarianism but sadly it did not. It merely kept me from partaking in rabbit for a short time.
I very much enjoyed the pheasant it was very mild in flavor not gamey at all but I do have to say I had a real hard time with the venison. My family loved it but no matter how many different ways that it was prepared I still found it too strong and much too gamey.
Over the years I continued to try venison in various forms but it wasn't until I was in my early thirties that I really developed a love for it. One of my favorite preparations using venison is chili. I actually think chili tastes better with venison than it does with any other type of meat. I am given a great deal of venison meat each year so I am always trying to come up with different ways to make it so we don't get bored eating the same old thing over and over again. I have hit on a couple really great flavor combinations using venison which I will share with all of you in future posts. For now lets start with a truly delicious recipe for venison chili of course if you are unable to get any venison you may substitute any meat of your choosing.

Venison Chili

2 lbs. venison, cubed or ground
4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
4 lg. tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 med. onions, coarsely chopped
2 bell peppers, large dice
1 Jalapeno pepper, remove seeds and mince finely
2 cups of water
2 tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tbsp. ground cumin
1/4 cup of molasses
1 cup of red wine
4 tbsp. cooking oil
1 tbsp. sweet basil
1/2 tbsp. black pepper, coarsely ground
1 tsp. salt

In a large pot, sauté venison in hot oil until slightly browned. Add garlic, onion, and bell pepper; continue to sauté until onion is translucent. Add water, tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, chili powder, cumin, molasses, salt, pepper, and basil; simmer for at least 2 hours. 30 minutes before serving, add red wine.

6 comments:

Jeanette said...

That sounds good. We are down to our last venison in the freezer. Hubby did not get one this year. I have never tried molasses in Chili.

Julie said...

The molasses contrasts nicely with the spices Jeanette without being overly sweet. Feel free to add some beans to the recipe to make this chili extra hearty.

stephchows said...

ooo i love venison chili! You're lucky to have a family of hunters so you always have a supply :)

Julie said...

Thank you for stopping by, Stephchows.

pTsaldari said...

This was such an excellent article. I'm so happy I found you. Thank you so much for sharing your delights with us. To be sure, I will return again.
Cheers, PT
You can visit me at http://ptsaldari.posterous.com

Julie said...

You are welcome PT and Thank you