Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Rockin' Good Rabbit

I just saw my neighbor walking into his house joined by his hunting dog and their obvious catch of the day, three rabbits. I guess I am not as squeamish as I use to be as a child, don't get me wrong I did say to myself; awe poor cute little bunnies. I do sometimes feel like such a cold heartless individual when I crave and eat meat but it is an honest natural craving I cannot escape.
I have had rabbit prepared in so many different ways from country fried, braised in wine and I have even had it barbequed which is very good by the way. As good as all those preparations have been this recipe has to be my absolute favorite. There is uniqueness to these flavorings being combined together, it actually seems like it shouldn't work but let me tell you that it does. These flavors work in a big way, you find yourself slowly processing each individual bite with an inquisitive delight.
This recipe is side dish friendly so whether you like potatoes, rice or stuffing, salad, cauliflower, or broccoli. Whatever you choose they will all compliment this rabbit perfectly.

Cinnamon Rabbit

1 rabbit cut into pieces or 3 rabbit loins
4 Strips of bacon cut into bite size pieces
1/4 cup of melted butter
1 tbsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Nutmeg
2 tbsp. Horseradish
1/2 cup of water
Salt and Pepper to taste

Sauté the 4 strips of bacon over medium-high heat in butter till some of the bacon grease renders, do not let bacon get crisp, add rabbit and brown in butter and bacon, about 2 or 3 minutes on each side. Place rabbit and drippings along with bacon pieces in baking dish. Stir remaining ingredients into a 1/2 cup of water and pour over rabbit.

Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until tender.

FYI- No need to hunt for your rabbit these days, most grocery stores carry most game meats packaged and ready to go for your convenience.
In a pinch this recipe works equally well with any type of poultry.

10 comments:

Jeanette said...

I can't cook rabbit but my mom does. My husband brings her a couple about every 6 weeks and they have a special meal together.
I have visited your blog many times, but today is the first time I really read your header. It is so accurate. I have read that POWs would talk about recipes through their cells and how their mothers and grandmothers prepared things. It was the only thing that kept them going.

Julie said...

Thank you Jeanette, food truly is a powerful connection for all things living.

joe@italyville said...

Julie, I love rabbit... one of my favorites! I've never tried it with cinnamon though... interesting. My problem with the grocery stores around here is that theirs is always "previously frozen" it would be great to find some fresh rabbit. I'll have to give your recipe a try.

Kristina said...

I just CANT do it! Poor wee bunnies! I cant eat deer meat either without picturing Bambi! lol Chicken, fish and turkey..good enough for me! lol

Julie said...

I know Kristina, I think about it even when I purchase the meat from a grocery store...it once was a cute little creature.

Julie said...

I know Joe a lot of the meats are previously frozen, it is very hard to get fresh.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, yum! This sounds absolutely divine. I love using cinnamon in savory dishes.

Rochelle R. said...

I just can't eat anything that I have kept as a pet, so no rabbit or duck. Luckily I have never had a pet turkey. I don't see now the 4H kids can take such tender care of their animals and then sell them for meat. I could never have done that.

Julie said...

I know Rochelle, I truly wish I were a vegetarian. I hate that my love of meat promotes the killing of all those sweet little creatures.

Julie said...

I know Elizabeth, beyond baking cinnamon adds a nice spicy componant to many savory dishes.