Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Monday, February 4, 2008

The Richness In Being Poor

This may sound a bit unusual but this is a recipe that was created out of necessity. My great great grandfather made his own wine and kept it in barrels in an old dirt cellar. Potatoes were a very inexpensive staple so there were always plenty of them on hand which made this a very sensible recipe to present at the family table. Today it sounds like something you would order at a high end restaurant. I've grown to realize and appreciate with time that many of our greatest recipes throughout the world seem to have been created during times of struggle. I have always found it quite interesting that some of the richest of foods were created during the poorest of times. Maybe that's where that old saying "Less is more"comes from.

Red Wine Potatoes

10-12 scrubbed red potatoes
1 Tablespoon of chopped garlic
2 cups of red wine (any dry variety)

Halve or quarter scrubbed red potatoes, brown in oil on all sides. Add minced garlic toward end of browning so as not to scorch. Add 2 cups red wine and cover immediately. Cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender. Watch that wine doesn't all cook away. Serve with remaining wine sauce.

FYI- I have been told that if one prefers not to have the intense red color that it is okay to use white wine in place of the red.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent instructions. Awesome Post!

Julie said...

Thank you so much Sorina

evan said...

My family did breakfast for dinner growing up I think partly because it's my dad's favorite and partly being a very cheap dinner compared to any other night.

Egg in a basket is #1 at that meal for me and I've redone it inside of a waffle instead of bread.

Ellen said...

julie - hey! thanks for the shout outs...i'm so psyched that you're trying tempeh. anyway, loving this wine potato recipe - love your blog - e-mail me - ellen.slattery@weblogs.com - and we should def. chat.

LimeyG said...

Red wine and garlic and potatoes? What's not to love?

Terri said...

Awesome post. Love the blog!!!

Terri
www.burningkitchen.blogspot.com

Julie said...

Thank you Terri

Julie said...

Thank you for stopping by Ellen, I really enjoy your posts on Slashfood.

Julie said...

I love egg in the basket Evan, we use to do ours in thick slices of rustic Italian bread and serve it with roasted peppers on the side.

Julie said...

I agree LimeyG, thank you for stopping by.

Sheri said...

What a sweet story. I personally think the red from the wine would be a lovely effect!

Just a Girl said...

That sounds soooo good! I am going to have to try it this weekend. Love your blog!

Alpa said...

julie- thanks for visiting my blog, this is my first time to yours as well and it is so beautiful. i am glad you wrote me! i wanted to say there is a potato event going on at:

http://www.monsoonspice.com/2008/01/announcing-ode-to-potato.html

if you wanted to submit this by tomorrow (Feb 15's the deadline)... your stories are so beautifully written.

Julie said...

Thank you so much Alpa, I will check out this potato event, sounds like fun.

Julie said...

Thank you Ellieut, I did not realize that you were in upstate NY, so am I.

Julie said...

Thank you Sheri the color is very rich and inviting.

Unknown said...

Oh these sound great! Can't wait to try them

Julie said...

Thank you CB, enjoy.

Mark by Chocolate said...

Indeed, French cooking == what to do with leftovers.

Julie said...

Thanks for stopping by Mark

Anonymous said...

All my wine's wet!

Anonymous said...

Also, you were linked to in a reply to today's Guardian.co.uk food blog reply.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/food/2008/06/love_spuds.html

Julie said...

That is perfectly ok, Jude.

Julie said...

Yes, I put the link there it went perfectly with the blogging topic.