Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Orange You Glad!

While sitting here enjoying an orange and admiring its vibrant color and the smell of its oils as they burst through its skin permeating my nose. While separating away each perfect segment and drinking in each and every drop of its sunshine it dawned on me that some of the best foods in the world require no recipe at all.
I had been racking my brain trying to decide what to post and in this instance I decided to leave well enough alone, nature’s got this one covered.
So I am just going to sit back and reap the benefits of what God has placed in this perfect edible package while it nourishes my body back to health and save the recipes for another day!

11 comments:

Tracy said...

Nature does have its wonders, like the orange. Today I was mulling over the daffodils peeking up from the ground, and knowing when they are supposed to come up. Amazing.

Julie said...

It is all pretty amazing Tracy

Patricia Scarpin said...

Great idea, Julie. I love oranges.

Anonymous said...

I love tucking into an orange like that. I completely relate to what you've said about the bursty zesty juicyness of it. It brings back a lot of memories of childhood, with my Dad peeling a freshly picked navel orange (or five) from the tree for us kids, using his pocket knife to unpeel it in one long curly strip. I'm still yet to master that peeling technique!

Fresh fruit in general seems to have that effect, tho, don't you think? - such as a freshly picked apricot or plum - something about the burst of juice and flavour and the freshness, like the energy of the tree is still buzzing through it. But the rush that freshly picked citrus gives you does seem quite unique - probably partly the vitamin c, but also just cos its really hydrating.

Ahh, the joys of nature! I really feel like an orange now! lol

Julie said...

Thanks Ash, now hearing your beautiful take on the orange has left me wanting another.

Julie said...

Thanks Patricia, sometimes the food just speaks for itself.

fredskitchen said...

hello,
just discovered your blog and am loving the browse.
Don't you find that oranges , i mean good oranges are harder and harder to come by ? [despite the growing number of 'new' sorts]. Most seem insipid and full of juice that tastes more like water than anything else !
it's good to take your time to taste and appreciate... as they say here in France "déguster".

Julie said...

Thank you Fredsmess, it is very hard to find good produce. I am still trying to find a tomato that actually tastes like a tomato.

Jill said...

Ciao,
What a nice surprise when I stumbled upon your blog! I look forward to trying some of your recipes...

As for the oranges, yum! Every morning I squeeze a fresh cup of orange juice. Here in Sicily, our trees are bursting with citrus right now!

Hope you feel better…
Jill

Julie said...

Jilli that sounds so wonderful, we are just finishing up our winter here.

cleon dann said...

orange is crispy and full of vitamin c... it will maintain your health...

regards
cleon dann