Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Yucky Sprouts

I know that I have said this before and I am about to say it again, I absolutely love brussel sprouts. I am actually surprised that I do not post about them more often. I am sure my grandmother could care less if I ever posted about them again…..she is not a big fan. My grandmother puts it quite nicely; she merely states that she has never developed a taste for them unlike those who cannot resist shouting out a big “Yuck” at the mere mention.
Well for those of us who happen to love the little green gems here is another way to prepare them that I am sure most of us will gladly enjoy.

Brussel Sprouts in Sour Cream Onion Sauce

1/2 lbs. Brussels sprouts (leave whole or cut length wise)
1 Large Onion (any) chopped
1 pint of sour cream
2 Tablespoons of butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Steam or boil brussel sprouts for 15 minutes or until tender. Sauté onion in butter until rich brown, add in sour cream, stirring constantly. Add brussel sprouts and mix well, leave on heat for 2 more minutes then serve.

8 comments:

Deborah said...

I love Brussels Sprouts, and love seeing all of the different ways to prepare them!

Julie said...

Enjoy, Deborah

Lidian said...

I love love love Brussels sprouts! They are really good for you too.

Julie said...

Lidian isn't it great to truly love what is good for us....it doesn't happen often but it is sure a bonus when it does.

Anonymous said...

I've never developed a taste for them either, but they're such a pretty plant! My husband is quite fond of them, we might wind up growing some next year if he'll cook them outside :)

Julie said...

Yes, I will admit that they can smell a bit strong.

Deborah Dowd said...

Fresh brussels sprouts are so delicious, Years ago we planted some in our backyard garden, and I was so amazed to see how they grow up the stalk!

Julie said...

I have to try planting some Deborah, I hope they do well in my garden.