Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Chicken Ala Tile


Yesterday would have been my mother and father’s 50th wedding anniversary if they had not divorced 28 years ago. I know it sounds sad but it’s really not, they are better friends now than they never were married…….Out of respect for them and for all of you as well I will leave out all the nasty bits and private details.
Let me just put it this way; “We can still love roses and hate being pricked by the thorns all at the same time”….I just realized how much a rose symbolizes the perfect metaphor for life.
Anyhow, on a some what lighter and much less philosophical note, my mother was thinking back on their marriage and asked me if I remembered the “Chicken Ala Tile” story? Well of course I did, it was really funny in a strange sort of way given the circumstances back then. My father was watching his weight, which actually translates into that my mother was watching his weight, if you get my drift. He was only to eat chicken or fish, two vegetables and the chicken or fish had to be broiled. Back then we had one of those little counter top broiler ovens where my mother carefully placed the chicken to cook. While that was broiling away she made the vegetables that would accompany the chicken getting more and more frustrated by the minute with all his bellowing and barking in the background…..poor Mom! I was setting the table and he was in the living room which was right off the kitchen having a scotch and watching the news. My mother walked over to the counter to turn the chicken and when she pulled the handle of the broiler pan, the handle broke and the chicken went spilling on the floor. Totally frustrated and angry my mother grabbed the chicken threw it back in the pan and shoved it back under the broiler and proceeded to wipe off the kitchen tile. My mother just looked at me and I silently understood. We sat down for dinner; my mother asked my father how he liked the chicken? He said it was good; did she do something different to it? She said no, I cooked it the way I always do while winking at me and grinning.
So here is a broiled chicken recipe to enjoy in honor of this story, throwing the chicken on the floor is optional!

Broiled Chicken

1/2 chicken, cut in 4 pieces
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. oregano
2 tbsp. water
Juice from 1/2 lemon

Put chicken in a pan with salt and pepper. Combine oil, water, oregano, and lemon juice in a cup. Beat lightly with a fork. Pour the combined ingredients over the chicken. Place chicken under the broiler and broil for 10- 15 minutes, then turn over and broil on the other side until nicely browned.


photo courtesy of JoJoBear99/flickr

16 comments:

Little Ol' Liz said...

I see the oil, lemon juice water and oregano. How much butter is needed?

Sure sounds tasty!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

I've just popped by to see what you have been noshing on lately and I like your blog. You've inspired me to stop working and go home to feed my family!

Rochelle R. said...

That's a great story. I admit to following the 30 second on the floor rule once or twice myself.

Julie said...

Thanks Rochelle, at that moment and time the thirty second rule was quite fitting.

Julie said...

Thank you, Nikki

Julie said...

Oops, thank you so much for catching that liz. I left the butter out of the recipe to keep the calories lower but failed to remove it from the directions(it's now removed). If using butter it would be 2 Tbsp. but with the olive oil you really do not need it.

Gretchen Noelle said...

Too funny! I remember my parents BBQing once and the meat ended up on the ground. It was placed back on the grill and served once cooked. The guests exclaimed it was better than ever...if they only knew!

Julie said...

Too funny Gretchen, I am sure it has happened to a great many people.The only difference is we're admitting it.

Anonymous said...

Three second rule.... This looks good! It's a pretty simple preparation, which (I tend to think) suits chicken best.

Julie said...

Thanks for stopping by, Fearless Kitchen

Catherine Wilkinson said...

Oh what a story! Reminds me of my own childhood, interrupting the "signs" from the parents. Thanks for sharing.

Julie said...

I know Catherine, sometimes those little silent gestures speak louder than anything.

Lidian said...

Julia Child is in your corner here - she used to drop stuff on the floor on her show and just shove it back in the pan (that was my mother's favorite memory of Julia, mine too!)

Anonymous said...

LOVE YOUR BLOG!

found you because I saw your comment on slashfood and love just the name.

too funny.

Julie said...

Thank you, MizFit. I stopped by to visit yours and absolutely love your humorous writing style.

Julie said...

I love that Julia Child did that, it was so real.