Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

What On Earth Is She Doing?

Funny but true…..A friend and I decided to treat ourselves to a really nice dinner at a steak and seafood house. We decided to do the whole nine yards; “Drinks, appetizers and dessert”. We both ordered prime rib as our main course with all the fixings, baked potato, soup and salad. The waiter placed a gorgeous basket of warm bread on the table which we both grabbed for immediately. As we talked and ate making our way closer to the main entree` the waiter placed a little cup that contained a creamy yellow scoop of something inside. I instantly grabbed my spoon to start eating while my friend grabbed her butter knife and a dinner roll while we both looked at each other stunned and confused by the others actions. My friend said to me with a tiny bit of disgust; “Why are you eating that butter with a spoon”? Then I laughed and said; “Why are you about to butter your roll with lemon sorbet”? Needless to say we both howled with laughter and my friend will never again reach for a knife during the Intermezzo!

FYI
Intermezzos are usually a small amount of something light and refreshing to cleanse the palate between the courses of a rich meal. Usually intermezzo comes in the form of a sorbet, quite often lemon or lime. There are some restaurants that serve a light wine as their intermezzo on the order of an Italian Prosecco which is light and bubbly.



Easy Lemon Sorbet

The juice of 12 Lemons
1 Tablespoon of lemon zest, yellow part only
2 cups of sugar dissolved in 2 cups of water

Load all ingredients into an ice cream freezer and run it for 20 to 30 minutes until you have thick thoroughly frozen slurry. Scoop the slurry into a plastic container and put it into your freezer until frozen hard. Scoop and serve in small cup, bowl or better yet wine glass. Remember to use only a small scoop, this is merely to cleanse the palate save the bigger scoops for when serving as a dessert.
Kphua/Flickr

12 comments:

Nic said...

I'm howling with laughter too, at the thought of you both!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, if you've never seen it before.... I wonder how lemon sorbet would taste on warm bread rolls??? (probably better left to the imagination.)

Julie said...

I know Nic, I still laugh thinking about it.

Julie said...

It might actually be good after all we do put lemon curd on scones and muffins.

Maki said...

I remember I went to a fancy $100/plate dinner way back in the day and they brought out sorbet too. I was confused on why they would bring out dessert after the appetizer and why it was so small. I clued in quickly enough :)

Julie said...

Thank you for stopping by Maki

Anonymous said...

it is 98 here today.

IM MAKING THIS FOR THE TODDLER!

thanks.

Julie said...

Wow! 98, even in our warmest months we are lucky if we hit 90.

K and S said...

I'm going to try this, thanks for sharing!!

Julie said...

You are very welcome K&S

Nurit "1 family. friendly. food." said...

What a cool name, and a brave one too, to call a dish. garbage. never seen that before! I like it.

Julie said...

Thank you Nurit