Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

S_ _ _ On A Shingle

Foods just like people can easily get a bad reputation through no fault of their own. This particular dish became infamous as a war ration and had been called by many a name that one would never want to hit the fan (if you know what I mean). The sad part is it probably did taste bad then for many reasons the first one being that it may have been the only food option that they had. Another reason could have been because it was packaged and processed and sitting in a can for who knows how long, which means that poor little chipped beef didn’t stand a chance of being liked.
This recipe will change all that because it is easy, comforting and really delicious.
Give chipped beef the love that it deserves.

Creamed Chipped Beef

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 dash pepper
2 cups milk
2 1/2 ounces dried beef, sliced

In medium saucepan, melt butter. Blend in flour and pepper. Stir in milk. Cook over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Reduce heat. Tear beef into shreds; add to cream sauce and heat through.
Serve over toast points, mashed potatoes, rice or egg noodles.

JannieJan/Flickr

10 comments:

Catherine Wilkinson said...

Hell, yeah! This is the stuff I grew up loving! You know what???
I'm going to make my own dried beef to do this again! Yay!
(Just say "Merde" on a shingle...sounds very French, don't you think? LOL

Katie B. said...

Growing up, my Grandpa used to fuss when it was creamed chipped beef night - but it was always one of my favorites! Thanks for the reminder!

Julie said...

You are right Catherine, Merde sounds much more gourmet.

Julie said...

You are welcome, Katie it really is good stuff!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

Merde, is right. Never have I ever attempted to eat chipped beef with gravy. In my mom's house, you get in trouble if you're gravy isn't dark enough. I'm afraid to try white gravy and I don't even live with my parents any more. My hat goes off to you for posting it.

Julie said...

White gravy is not so bad, Nikki it actually has a really good flavor and texture.

Rochelle R. said...

My husband loves creamed chipped beef. He buys the expensive frozen pouches to eat when I am at work. When I was a kid we always had it on toast, but I bet it is good on mashed poatatoes.

Julie said...

Rochelle, I bet everything probably would taste pretty good on mashed potatoes lol.

Anonymous said...

omg! shit on a shingle (or S.O.S.) as my dad would call it... this is one of my families favorite breakfast. It does look like vomit over bread, but seriously, it's delicious! thank you for bringing me back in time...

Julie said...

You are welcome, sad to say you are right it does look pretty bad but it really does taste good.