Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Saffron Crocus a Flower in Good taste


Yesterday my grandmother brought out a cookbook that my aunt had given her. The cookbook was all about cooking with different herbs and spices. There were so many recipes that we wanted to try once we got the ingredients. There seemed to be a great many dishes that called for saffron, which most of us have had at one time or another. We agreed that if we ever made a recipe requiring saffron that we would all chip in seeing that saffron is about $80.00 an ounce, not that we would need an ounce more like a pinch. Luckily saffron’s powerful flavor goes a long way as well as the brilliant color it imparts to all the food that it touches.

FYI- The reason why saffron is so expensive is it estimated that it takes some 14,000 Crocus stigmas (each crocus only has three stigmas) to produce only one ounce of saffron threads.
The taste is that of bitter honey and the color it releases is an intense yellow.

Saffron Risotto


5 cups of chicken broth (canned works just fine).
1/2 a stick of butter, plus 1 more tablespoon for later
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cup of pearl rice (Arborio)
1/2 cup of dry white wine
1/8 tsp. of saffron
1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese

Bring broth to slow simmer. Heat butter in heavy, deep pan, sauté onions until golden. Stir in rice; sauté until well coated. Add white wine and cook until evaporated. Begin adding broth 1/2 cup at a time--add broth again when you need more liquid 1/4 cup at a time.
After 15 minutes of cooking, add saffron and continue cooking adding 1/4 cup of broth until rice is tender but firm to the bite. Total cooking time is 30 to 35 minutes.
Just prior to serving, add cheese and remaining tablespoon of butter. Salt to taste, serve with more cheese.

7 comments:

Chef Jeena said...

Wonderful saffron recipe I bet it is so tasty. :-)

Bill said...

I'll try this recipe. I have saffron I bought in Spain that I've been wondering how to use, so this sounds perfect.

p.s. cherries were on sale, so I bought the ingredients to make that delicious bread pudding again!

Anonymous said...

This looks really interesting! I love saffron, I wouldn't say that I use a LOT of it but I do use a bit of it. I've never thought of it in risotto. Now, in ice cream...

Julie said...

I haven't tried it in ice cream yet I bet it is pretty good.

Julie said...

The risotto is real easy to do Bill and I am so glad that you are enjoying that cherry bread pudding.

Julie said...

You'll love it, Jeena.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.