Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Maraschino Lover

I’m sure that I have hinted around to the fact in previous posts that I am quite a fan of maraschino cherries. My grandmother always had jar after jar of them in her pantry mostly for her baking needs but my grandfather also used them for my kitty cocktails as well as other people’s cocktails when they entertained. Just reading the ingredients in this recipe you already know without even trying it that it is perfect for all us maraschino cherry lovers.


Maraschino Cherry Muffins

1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs (separate whites from yolks)
1 cup of flour
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
2 tablespoons of maraschino cherry juice
Finely chopped pecans
Powdered sugar
maraschino cherries

Cream butter, white and brown sugars add 2 well beaten egg yolks. Slowly beat in flour, baking powder and cherry juice. Fold in 2 well-beaten egg whites. Butter small muffin tins and sprinkle with pecans. Top with 1 teaspoon of batter, then a cherry, another teaspoon of batter. Sprinkle top with pecans. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or lightly browned. Roll in powdered sugar while warm.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe and must say that I really liked it! Very good indeed!

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of them too! These sound really good!

Omar Cruz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julie said...

Thank you Omar

Julie said...

Thank you Brianna

Julie said...

Thanks Sorina, I bet they were delicious!

Anonymous said...

My daughter loves maraschino cherries! She has me keep them around to put in her 7-up.
I never thought that I could make muffins out of them! I'll give these a try this week and see if they are a winner in my home.

Julie said...

Hope your family likes them teeth whitening.