Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Vegetables For Dessert

I was surfing the internet and came across this recipe and found it to be very intriguing. I have not made it yet but I just know that my curiosity is going to get the best of me before long and before you know it I’ll be running to the store to pick up the ingredients.
To all my blogger and non blogger friends out there, has anyone ever heard of, tasted or made this? If so I’d love to hear from you and find out more about it. I’m guessing that even with the unusual combinations of flavors or because of them that this could truly be a very delicious recipe.

Vegetable Dessert Tart

Tart Shell:

2 c. sifted flour
1 c. finely ground walnuts
1 c. butter, chilled

Filling:

2 c. chopped chard
1 c. golden raisins
1/4 c. honey
4 eggs, beaten lightly
2 c. grated zucchini
8 leaves fresh basil, chopped
8 leaves fresh mint, chopped
1/2 c. Chardonnay wine (any light wine)
Fresh strawberries, for garnish

Combine flour and nuts. Add butter, 2 tablespoons at a time, and mix well in food processor until dough forms a ball. Spread in a pie pan to a thickness of 1/8 inch and going 3/4 inch up the sides. Chill while making the filling.
Combine all filling ingredients in a bowl. Pour 1/2 in blender and puree. Combine with remaining ingredients and pour into shell. Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until filling is set and inserted knife comes out clean. Cool in pan 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh strawberries.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This does sound interesting, not too sweet.

Julie said...

Definitely not your traditional type of dessert.

Sharona May said...

Very Interesting. How did it turn out? I recently made a Feta and Swiss Cheese tart.

Sharona May

Julie said...

Thank you for stopping by Sharona May, I haven't made it yet but hope to soon.