Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

What Can I get You Hon' ?


Nothing could be finer than some pancakes from the diner in the morning (everybody sing lol). Who doesn’t love diner food, we have so few left at least out my way. Do you have many diners left where you are? I miss blue plate specials and diner speak such as; “Adam and Eve on a raft (2 poached eggs on toast) or Wreck’ em (scramble the eggs).
Everything seemed to taste better while sitting at the counter or in a booth. The cheeseburgers, the milkshakes even something as simple as a tuna salad sandwich tasted unbelievable and could anything ever compare to a diner breakfast; “ eggs, hash browns, bacon or sausage and the endless cup of coffee (the best coffee ever, would put Starbucks to shame) and you’d get all that for less than a few dollars. This diner post would not be complete if I did not give honorable mention to the “Diner Pancake” whether it is a short stack or full stack these pancakes were the tastiest, fluffiest most delicious pancakes ever.
I think I make a pretty mean pancake but even mine will never compare to the ones I use to get at the diner.
Here’s a really good straight forward pancake recipe, that tastes pretty close to what you might be served at a diner…….well not quite, there are a few ingredients missing. The sweaty short order cook, the greasy well used griddle, the waitress snapping her gum while taking your order and the diner itself.

2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
6 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar

Combine liquid ingredients and dry ingredients separately. Mix until smooth. Let batter rest for 10 minutes. Cook on a preheated griddle for 1 minute. Sprinkle with blueberries, pecans, bananas or strawberries on uncooked side. Turn pancakes and finish cooking, makes about 10 pancakes.

4 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Julie, I'm totally for pancakes for dinner. I do that when Joao is not having dinner at home. :)

Julie said...

I wish I didn't love them so much Patricia, I tend to eat too many of them.

Anonymous said...

Ohh, I just went to a local joint yesterday and had these for dinner. Our waitress was even dressed in the proverbial pink skirt and blouse like in your picture!

I like making pancakes at home, but you're right it certainly isn't the same at home.

Julie said...

It's been awhile Butta Buns, glad to see you back.