Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Monday, July 21, 2008

Grandma Lisser's Kitchen


This recipe belonged to my little Russian Grandmother all 4’ 6” of her. I wish I had the pleasure of spending time with her but unfortunately she passed before I was born. Luckily for me, my mother kept Grandma Lisser very much alive for me by sharing stories and some of the specialties of this wonderful woman’s kitchen. We are still trying to recreate her carrot cookies, we are getting close but without a recipe it is a lot of trial and error. All we have is my mother’s memory of how they looked, smelled and tasted. As soon as we get it right I will post and share with everyone. Until then, here is a recipe for Grandma's Blintz’s which managed to make its way through the family over these many years.

Blueberry Blintzes

CREPE:
1 cup of all purpose flour
2 lg. eggs
1 cup of milk
1/4 tsp. of salt

Place all 4 ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Allow batter to rest for 30 minutes.
To cook crepes, heat an 8" crepe pan and butter it lightly. Add just enough batter to coat the bottom of the hot pan with a thin layer. Cook until just set and lightly golden. Flip or turn and cook second side until light golden. Turn onto a dinner plate and cook remaining crepes.

Filling:
1 1/2 cups of cottage cheese
1 lg. egg, beaten
2 tbsp. of sugar
1/ 2 tsp. of cinnamon
1 cup of fresh blueberries or substitute fruit of your choice
2 tbsp. of fresh bread crumbs (to absorb excess moisture)
2 tbsp. of butter
¼ cup powdered sugar, optional

Drain the cottage cheese and press through a sieve. Mix together the cottage cheese, egg, sugar and cinnamon. Gently stir in 3/4 cup of the berries, if the mixture is runny; carefully stir in the bread crumbs.
Place a spoonful of filling on the crepe, fold in the ends and roll up. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a non stick skillet and sauté the blintzes until golden, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt and top with the remaining blueberries.
This recipe will make 6 to 8 servings
RoBoppy/Flickr

14 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Julie, I can't believe I found someone who is shorter than I am. :)

This is delicious. That oozing fruit filling is killing me here!

Usha said...

Looks really delicious !

Julie said...

Thank you, Usha

Julie said...

Too funny, Patricia. If it makes you feel any better my grandmother on my father's side is only 4'8" lol

muddywaters said...

It's great to see you connecting with your grandma through her recipes. I love stories like this. I'm eager to read more from your blog.


Take care,
muddywaters

Anonymous said...

I hate to be picky, but it's "blintzes". An apostrophe is meant to indicate possesion, not plural. Otherwise, love the blog!

Julie said...

Thank you for pointing that out, Anonymous. I didn't even realize that I had done that...thanks, again.

Julie said...

Thank you, Muddywaters
Take Care and come back often.

Hana Choi said...

this looks delish!

i'm jealous of your proximity to wegmann's, the ultimate shopping experience in upstate ny!

hope you had some luck procuring those red bean popsicles :)

Julie said...

Thank you Chicky Bits, you are right about Wegmans it is a great place to shop.

Reeni said...

All that is left from my Great Grandma's cooking are my Mom's wonderful memories! We have impossible moments of trying to recreate her recipes too, she didn't write anything down! These look delicious; blueberries are so good in baked goods.

Julie said...

Thank you, Reeni

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, who posted on July 22, 2008, corrected how you spelled the word "blintzes". She wrote "An apostrophe is supposed to indicate possesion, not plural."

She spelled the word possession: "possesion". She should add one more s.

Who has time to proofread? Most of us have a day job and food blogging is only a hobby.

Julie said...

Too funny Anonymous, I never caught her spelling error....guess I did not have the time to proof read lol