Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Friday, July 20, 2007

That's One Sharp Loaf of Bread

My mother always said I should by stock in a grated cheese company, I just love the stuff. Although “Parmigiano Reggiano” seems to be the grated cheese that is touted the most, I have always leaned more towards a good "Pecorino Romano". Romano cheese is sharper, stronger and has more bite. Don’t get me wrong I love and do use Parmesan in and on many things it has a wonderful flavor, just quite a bit milder. I have always enjoyed really strong sharp cheeses; one of my favorite eating cheeses is “Extra Sharp Aged Provolone” as well as “Grana Padano”. These sharp cheeses are delicious eaten with a drop of good aged "Balsamic Vinegar" placed upon each bite.

Sharp Italian Cheese Bread

5 cups Bisquick

6 eggs
2 cups Romano cheese
1 cup milk, room temp.
6 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Teaspoons black pepper
1 egg yolk

Combine Bisquick, cheese and pepper in large bowl. Beat eggs, milk and oil with electric mixer. Add to dry ingredients (mix with spoon). Generously grease 2 (12 1/2 x 4 1/2) pans. After putting dough in pan smooth top with wet hand.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 25 minutes until lightly browned. Brush top with beaten egg yolk. Bake 10 minutes. Makes 2 loaves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made this yesterday and it was a BIG hit...at least among the adults in the house. The smell of it baking lured everyone into the kitchen though. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

Julie said...

Thank you Tarrant, I am glad that you and your family enjoyed it.