Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Friday, April 20, 2007

Fennel and Orange Salad


I do not know how many of you are familiar with fennel but it’s something everyone should try. It’s very similar in texture to celery but much crunchier. Celery tends to be very bland; fennel however has a bold licorice flavor.
Fennel was a common staple in Italian- American households. As children we would use the fennel stalks as straws to drink our water or other beverages with. It was fun to see how the drinks flavor would change once it mixed with the licorice flavor of the fennel straw.
Fennel can be eaten raw (very low calorie), steamed, fried, braised. It’s a nice flavor enhancer to most recipes. Its licorice flavor is less intense when cooked.
The fennel leaves or fronds can be used as a garnish or a seasoning.

Fennel and Orange Salad

INGREDIENTS:
3-4 Oranges
Salt
Olive Oil
A medium-large fennel bulb
Balsamic vinegar
Small red onion sliced thin(separated into rings)

PREPARATION:
3 or 4 medium sized oranges- peeled and sliced or segments if you prefer.Salt the oranges and drizzle generously with olive oil. Put aside while you cut the fennel to allow salt to bring the juices out of the oranges.Clean and quarter a medium-to-large bulb of fennel and slice it as thin as possible. Toss it with the oranges and season with some more salt and a bit of ground black pepper. Sprinkle with the onions and garnish with the fennel leaves. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! I love fennel. My grandmother would always have it in her house. Yum! Thanks for the recipe.

Glenna said...

I have got to try this. I love the orange and I need to try fennel. I know I've had it before but never by itself. I'm such a wuss. I don't like licorice so every time I look at it in the grocery, I'm afraid I won't like it by itself. But I know it's not that strongly flavored. I just need to take the jump.

cleon dann said...

i tried it and it is good... fennel and orange salad is best...

regards
cleon dann