Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits



I have to dedicate this recipe to John Dodge. He was a cute southern gentleman in his 80’s and cantankerous to boot. He had a great love and appreciation for good food.
He had a particular fondness for Sausage gravy and biscuits, just ask the still red faced waitress at a little restaurant we use to take him to. The waitress no sooner would arrive at our table and Mr. Dodge would say loudly and I quote;” You got any of them damn sausage gravy and biscuits”? Thank goodness she said yes we do. He just loved them.
Then I told my friend Pamm, John’s daughter that I could make some small batches for him to have at home. All he would have to do is warm it in the microwave and I could have the biscuits for him split and wrapped in saran. Pamm told him my suggestion; he was surprised that I knew how to make them.
I got what I needed at the supermarket and went to John’s apartment to prepare them.
He sat at his kitchen table eating a bowl of cereal while I was cooking. All he kept saying
was;” that smells damn good”, a man of few words. When everything was done, before I started to put the gravy in containers I asked him if he wanted some while they were hot and fresh. He said no that he was full but would have some later. So I proceeded to package things up then I heard; “You know maybe I will have some, they smell mighty good”. I plated him up a couple biscuits with a couple ladles of sausage gravy placed it in front of him. I finished cleaning up the kitchen while he ate all the while muttering damn good, damn good.
After I left, his daughter called me and said that I had no sooner walked out the door and he called her to say;” Those were the best damn biscuits and sausage gravy I’ve ever had”!
Thank you John


SAUSAGE GRAVY WITH BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
In Memory of John H. Dodge

BISCUITS:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
½ cup of butter (1stick)
2/3 cup buttermilk

SAUSAGE GRAVY:

8 ounces breakfast sausage, crumbled
3 tablespoons of butter
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 cups milk

Preheat oven to 450°. For Biscuits, in large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. With pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture is size of coarse crumbs. Gradually drizzle in buttermilk, and then stir until just moistened. On lightly floured board, gently press into 8-inch round. Using 3-inch biscuit cutter cut out 6 biscuits. Place on baking sheet (does not need to be greased), arrange biscuits. Bake 10 minutes or until lightly golden.


Meanwhile, for Sausage Gravy, in 12-inch nonstick skillet or large saucepan, brown sausage, breaking up with wooden spoon. Remove sausage from skillet and set aside. In same skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of butter, with wire whisk, stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in milk and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and return sausage to skillet. Simmer 1 minute or until desired thickness. To serve, top biscuits with Sausage Gravy.

If you do not have the time to bake biscuits store bought or Pillsbury works just fine.
But just remember…..Homemade biscuits are “Damn Good”!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love sausage and biscuits and they are "damn good". I may have to make them this weekend.

Anonymous said...

I can still hear my dad talking about the "damn good gravy & biscuits"... he truly loved to eat and I can even see his face light up whenever you made these for him. It was the only way I could get him away from the restaurants!
Pamm