Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Do you remember "Dump Cake"?

I had forgotten all about “Dump Cake” until a friend served one at a gathering. I couldn’t get over how good it tasted, I can’t believe I have gone so many years without making it. Literally Dump everything in a pan, lightly stir, bake and eat. What’s really great about this cake is that it looks and tastes complicated; it has so many flavors, textures and colors’ going on that it is hard to fathom its simplicity.




Dump Cake

Ingredients:
1 can cherry pie filling
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple with juice (do not drain)
1 white or yellow cake mix (dry, straight out of the bag)
1- 8 oz. bag chopped walnuts or pecans (your preference)
1- 7 oz. bag flaked or shredded coconut
1/4 cup butter, melted (1 stick)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take out, but do not prepare, 13x9 inch baking pan. Dump cherry pie filling and pineapple with its juice into pan. Spread around to combine fruit just a little. Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over the fruit. Sprinkle nuts and coconut over cake mix. Drizzle butter evenly over nuts and coconut. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until coconut looks toasty. Let cool for 15 minutes or so.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually made one a couple of months ago after years of "forgetting" about it. I did mine the same as you except for the coconut. I'll make a note on my "recipe" to add that next time. Don't you just love to make old recipes that were so popular at one time and kind of get forgotten?

Prachi Junankar-Gokhale said...

As someone who's totally intimidated by baking, I'm loving the dump cake recipe. Definitely going to try it. Sounds yum!

SpyWeb said...

Seeing this reminded me of my sister. She's passed on now. She was a great fan of dump cake. When her kids were young, it was something she could throw together for a favorite dessert. And what kid doesn't like to say they had "dump cake" for dessert!!

Julie said...

Hey SpyWeb, Thanks for stopping by