Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Fried Avocados


When visiting my Aunt and Uncle in California many years ago, I couldn’t get over all the different things they did with avocados. I always liked avocados but for me they usually came in the form of guacamole or a one or two slice garnish on a sandwich. Boy did I ever underestimate their versatility. My family in California used them in hot soup, cold soup, salads they even put avocados in their breakfast omelets. But I have to say one of my all time favorites was and still is the;” Beer Batter Fried Avocado”. The taste is amazing especially when dipped in either a ranch dressing or salsa, I guarantee it will be one of your new favorite snacks or make enough of them and just call it dinner!

Beer Batter Fried Avocados

1-1/2 Cups beer (whatever kind you like)
1-1/2 Cups flour
2 Teaspoon paprika
1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
4 Hass Avocados
Vegetable oil as needed for frying
Salt to taste
Ranch dressing (for dipping)
Salsa (for dipping)

In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk the beer, flour, paprika and garlic together until well blended.
Let the batter stand for 2 hours before using it.
In a large frying pan, heat oil to a depth of two inches.
Peel the avocados and slice into wedges.
Dip the wedges in the batter. Fry in the hot oil until golden about 3 minutes, turning once. Fry in batches.
Remove the wedges from the pan and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt to taste.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

That is so cool! I never would have thought of that!

Chris said...

This is very cool! I am going to have to see about this one...:)

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of doing this, but I'm sure gonna try it. YUMMY!!!

timtomfartlips said...

what a terrible waste of avocado... :(