Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Brussel Sprout Salad

Either love them or hate them but I think Brussel Sprouts are truly delicious. I have actually been known to steam up a batch, sprinkle them with a little salt and eat them like popcorn while watching TV. Another favorite is frying them with a little bacon until the Brussel Sprouts begin to caramelize (yum). My mother would just roast them in the oven with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and they were just wonderful.
But recently while perusing some of the local farmers markets, I have noticed some of the greenest most gorgeous sprouts I have ever seen. So, I decided to prepare them in a way that would keep them as close to their natural state as possible, this salad is vibrant in color and very fresh tasting. If you already love Brussel Sprouts you will love them even more and if you hate them, this salad may just sway you to change your mind.

15 good sized Brussel sprouts
Cherrytomatoes (a dozen or so)
2 or 3 Tablespoons of Olive oil
1 or 2 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
1 clove finely chopped garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste

Boil or steam sprouts until they are tender (approximately 7-10 minutes). Place them under cold water to stop them from any further cooking. Cut in half, placing them in a bowl.
Cut tomatoes in half and add to sprouts. Add garlic, dress with olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste, chill before serving.

12 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Julie,
I have never had Brussel sprouts, can you believe it?
I'd love to try one of your suggestions - the salad looks great, too.

Julie said...

Well Patricia you will either love them or hate them like most people. The taste is a cross between cabbage and broccoli. Even though they look like little cabbages they are actually of the broccoli family.

Chris said...

Yum! I just starting cooking with B-Srpouts last fall. I can't wait to start again!

Julie said...

THey are one of my favorites Chris.

Malaysian Delicacies said...

I have seen brussel sprouts each time when I go to supermarkets, next time will buy and try ur method, looks yummy and easy.

Julie said...

Thank you Malaysian Delicacies....enjoy

Arties32 said...

This is a must try. I love sprouts but have had no success making them fresh. I have a friend who roasts them with chestnuts and they are so good, but I fail each and every time i try that recipe. THIS one sounds easy enough and looks beautiful- thank you!

Julie said...

You are very welcome Arties32, I love the version with the chestnuts too.

Anonymous said...

That is such a good idea. Simple, but something I didn't think of. Thanks!

Julie said...

You are very welcome Mandy

Candice said...

i just did a search to find a recipe to use brussel sprouts in a salad. this looks excellent! just what i was hoping to find actually. i'm a vegetarian, but i love what i've read of your blog so far... gonna bookmark it. :)

Julie said...

Thank you Candice, I hope you stop by often. I will try to post more vegetarian friendly recipes.