Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Slushies for Grown-Ups

In an earlier post I divulged that bourbon is my drink of choice. I have also found bourbon a terrific ingredient to use in cooking especially marinades. When doing marinades bourbon’s flavor pairs really well with honey, molasses and any flavor of vinegar.
I usually prefer to drink bourbon in the winter months because it is a quick way to get warm from the inside out on a freezing cold day. But here is a really cool way to serve bourbon on those hot steamy summer days. This is really refreshing and fun to drink or eat with a spoon.

Bourbon Slush

2 tea bags
1 c. sugar
4 1/2 c. water
1 lg. can frozen orange juice
1 c. bourbon
1/2 can thawed frozen lemonade
7-up to splash over each glass of slush for a little fizz (optional)
Cherry, lemon or orange for garnish

Steep 2 teabags in 1 cup boiling water for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove tea bags and add 1 cup sugar, 3 1/2 cups water, orange juice, bourbon and lemonade. Mix and freeze until firm. Remove about 30 minutes before serving. Keep unused portion in freezer.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

oooo I'll have to try this. Bourbon is our drink of choice as well.

Julie said...

Thanks for stopping by WilBlg4yrn

Anonymous said...

Yowza! I can practically smell the bourbon fumes from here. Outstanding!

PS I'll share my Q burgers if you fix me one of those.

Julie said...

You've got a deal Butta Buns!

Unknown said...

Mmmm...love bourbon. I'll have to try this one. It looks like the perfect summer drink.

Julie said...

Me too Christine

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. This sounds sooo sweet!

Julie said...

It's really quite good, Mimi