Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Sunday, August 5, 2007

Apple Pita Pie

Pita bread is just another one of those very versatile food products to have on hand.
I love toasted pita triangles with hummus or pita pizzas. But here’s a clever and easy way to use pitas to make a delicious dessert without all the muss and fuss. You are all going to love this one. Gives your house that warm, wonderful baked apple pie aroma.

1 apple, peeled, cored and quartered
1 med.-sized pita (white or whole wheat)
1 Teaspoon of butter
1 Tablespoon of Sugar or Splenda
Cinnamon to taste
Nuts (optional)
May use other fruits and dried fruits as well
Whipped cream or non-dairy whipped topping

Stuff pita bread with apple quarters; add butter, sugar/substitute and cinnamon. Wrap in foil; place on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
For microwave - wrap in a paper towel and heat on HIGH for 5 minutes.

6 comments:

Chris said...

How cool is this! I love it....a portable pie. :)

Julie said...

Chris I couldn't agree more.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Julie,
I love pita bread - and you're so right, they're very versatile. I have never used them in a sweet recipe, though. It looks so good!

Julie said...

Thanks Patricia, I never thought to use them for desserts either until I stumbled across this recipe.

SteamyKitchen said...

OMG! You are a genius! I don't really bake (as evidenced by my microwave cake) and this is perfect. We always have pita bread in the house - and my kids LOVE pie.

Julie said...

Hi Steamy Kitchen, you'll love this one.