Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Divinity is Divine


Sweet little fluffy clouds, that’s what Divinity Candy looks like and feels like in your mouth. I can remember a time when Divinity Candy was made almost on a regular basis as a family treat. It was a common sight on most holiday tables. I rarely see or hear about Divinity anymore. It only crossed my mind again when I happened to notice it in the window of a candy store that I happened to be passing by the other day. I bet you are wondering if I ended up going in the candy store to get some? Could it have been a sampling of that Divine Divinity that became the muse for this post? I'll never tell!

Divinity Candy - a meringue-type confection also known as “White Divinity Fudge"

3 cups sugar
3/4 cup Corn Syrup
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. butter flavoring
1/2 tsp. salt
3 (large) egg whites room temperature
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped – If you are a purist leave the nuts out or merely place a nut on the top of each one.

Separate eggs and place egg whites in mixer bowl. Combine sugar, Corn Syrup and water in heavy deep pan over low heat. Stir constantly so crystals do not have a chance to form. When bubbles begin forming in syrup and syrup is thickening, begin testing by dropping a small amount of hot syrup off side of spoon into a cup of cold water, until you can feel little brittle strings in test mixture or when a candy thermometer reaches between 260- 270 degrees. Remove from heat. Pour hot syrup slowly into “Already Beaten” egg whites; add extract and salt. Continue to beat candy, increasing mixer speed. When divinity is thick and heavy turn off mixer and finish beating by hand. Adds nuts and beat in. Drop candy by spoonfuls on buttered waxed paper.

FYI - Divinity can be tricky. You really should use candy thermometer to get it right (unless you are a seasoned candy maker) but most candy makers use a candy thermometer. You will also need a dry day - a humid day will ruin your divinity.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that's what divinity is. It looks so wonderfully chewy and creamy, mmmm I may have to add this to my Christmas goods list.

Julie said...

They are very sweet Butta Buns but good.

Anonymous said...

wow! how do you get them not to stick?

Chris said...

Yum! I could eat the whole batch! I have never made Divinity...but love it!

Julie said...

I agree Chris, sweet but good.

Julie said...

James a little Pam sprayed on the hands makes it easy to spoon out on the waxed paper. Once on the paper they dry a little and are less sticky to handle.

Sullicom said...

This is unbelievable! For the first time in years, I was talking to a friend about divinity yesterday. Then tonight, I hopped to your site via a link from The Chef From Hell's site and you've got this post! Wow. My mom used to make this stuff. I had a post on my blog today about bourbon balls, which led to a discussion about great homemade candies that mom used to make. Thanks for this. I think I'll give a point to it.

- sullicom from sullicom.blogspot.com

Julie said...

Enjoy Sullicom