Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Not Seeing Red, Not To Worry


Now that summer’s end is near, many of us are faced with an abundance of tomatoes that may not turn red before the cooler weather hits. I usually plant cherry tomatoes and either beefsteak or a Heinz variety. If I end up with a good amount of cherry tomatoes that are still green I like to turn those little ones into pickles. But when it comes to the bigger green tomatoes, I’ve just got to fry them.

Fried Green Tomatoes

Green tomatoes
1 egg
Sprinkle of black pepper
1 cup buttermilk (may use regular milk)
1 cup corn meal (may use flour or a mixture of both)
Salt to taste
Oil for frying

Select mature green tomatoes that are just beginning to ripen. Remove the blossom end, stem and core. Slice crosswise about 1/4 inch thick. Dip slices in egg and buttermilk mixture. Batter in corn meal and fry in hot oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Do not stack on platter or
they will become soggy.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky duck you for having a garden. I have to BEG coworkers for green tomatoes and that rarely works out.

That looks insanely good, I could go through 3 plates without a problem.

Julie said...

Sorry your coworkers won't share Butta Buns, they probably love them as much as we do.

Anonymous said...

yummy..those look perfect. I am horrid..I love them in a sandwich with sourdough bread.carb heaven

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Patricia Scarpin said...

I have never had this dish and was always so curious because of the movie!

Anonymous said...

These look great. I use my green tomatoes to make a green tomato and courgette chutney.
Sara from farmingfriends

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris said...

Ok - I am going to whisper this one, since I may offend every southern kitchen around me - ....ready? I have never eaten fried green tomatoes. I know! I know! Shame on me. Yours look so good!

Chef JP said...

I like to put a few drops of Frank's Hot Sauce in the egg wash to give the tomatoes a little zip. chefjp

Julie said...

Thanks Chef JP, I use Franks Hot Sauce On many things as well it is one of my favorites.

Julie said...

I won't tell anyone Chris.

Julie said...

The Chutney sounds wonderful Sara.

Julie said...

I know Patricia, that was a good movie.

Julie said...

Marye, I love them in Sandwiches too.