Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Let's Tie The Knot !

Isn’t it sad that we wait for the holidays to enjoy some of our favorite foods? I always loved thanksgiving dinner and couldn’t wait for that one day a year to have it. As I got older I started making turkey and stuffing throughout the year, it’s just a great meal. The same thing with Christmas, I love all the special foods that are served but I especially love some of the Italian Cookie recipes that only seem to show up at Christmas time. Well enough of that, I want some of those cookies now, so what if it is too hot to use the oven that is why there is air conditioning. This way we can stay cool while making cookies.
Italian Knot Cookies

1-8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons of vanilla
5 teaspoons of baking powder
5 cups of flour

Icing:
2 cups Powdered sugar
3 to 4 Tablespoons of water or milk
1/2 Teaspoon anisette extract (or whatever flavoring you prefer)
(You are looking for a consistency a little thicker than heavy cream)
food coloring, if desired
sprinkles

Sift flour and baking powder. Set aside.
In a large bowl combine cream cheese and butter with mixer. Add sugar and beat until smooth and creamy. Add eggs and vanilla and continue beating until fluffy. Add flour mixture. You will have to stir by hand at the end because it will be too stiff to beat with the mixer.
Form dough into a large ball and let set for a few minutes. If dough is too soft, you can add more flour, a little at a time. Shape small pieces of dough into knot shape by rolling between hands into a rope and twisting into knot shape.
Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 350°F until lightly browned on bottom.

Will make anywhere between 1 to 3 dozen depending on how big or small you make the knots.

DO NOT OVERBAKE. Cookies will not be brown on top when done, only the bottom.
Cool on wire racks and dip into icing. Dust with sprinkles. Let dry on sheets of waxed paper.

8 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Julie, these are lovely!

Julie said...

Thank you so much Patricia

Half Baked said...

Julie, Your knot cookies look great. I havn't had them in years but I think I'll whip up a batch!

Chris said...

I LOVE these! My mom used to get so mad at me because I would eat the icing tops and leave the bottoms when I was little. I was not a fan of anisette. Now, it would probably be the reverse. You've got me craving them now! :)

Julie said...

Enjoy Chris!

Julie said...

Thanks HalfBaked....enjoy.

Anonymous said...

I love love love these cookies! I buy them at Calandras but they are too expensive and I wanted to see if I could make them myself and the way you explained it seems easy enough. I'm going to try it and see if it is as good as the ones I buy!

Julie said...

Anonymous, they are really not very hard to make and you will get even more cookies than you would at the bakery for far less money.